80MB mobile broadband in Sheffield Summer 2013
• Enhanced 4G boosts headline speeds to 80Mbps and doubles current average speeds to 20Mbps, for new and existing subscribers.
• Double-speed 4G to be introduced to ten cities by summer: Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Leeds, Liverpool, London, Manchester and Sheffield.
• Doubling of 4G network capacity ensures UK’s fastest mobile network is future-proofed to meet needs of data hungry consumers and businesses, with EE forecasting network traffic to increase by 750% in next three years alone.
• EE targeting more than one million 4G users by Christmas, states ambition to stay one step ahead and always offer the fastest network in the UK.
9th April, 2013 – EE, the UK’s most advanced digital communications company, is doubling the speed and capacity of its 4G network. The arrival of double-speed 4G, which enables lab speeds of 130Mbps1
EE is doubling the amount of 1800MHz spectrum bandwidth dedicated to 4G, from 10MHz to 20MHz, will boost headline 4G speeds to 80Mbps plus, and double the average speeds for 4GEE customers to more than 20Mbps.
EE is forecasting mobile data traffic to grow by as much as 750% in the next three years alone. This will give 4GEE customers increased capacity, and access to some of the fastest mobile speeds in the world, reinstating the UK as a leader in mobile and digital communications.
What it means for 4GEE consumer and business customers . Increased speeds and capacity are vital for mobile operators to continue to deliver a consistently high quality experience. EE is committed to always having the fastest network in the UK.
With double-speed 4G for mobile broadband and smartphones:
• Pictures can be uploaded and downloaded in HD, on larger screens, with greater resolution
• HD video can be uploaded and shared, and peer-to-peer video can be pin-point sharp and viewed with zero delay
• Multi-tasking on the move can become even quicker, with support for image and video-heavy online shopping, while uploading to Facebook and downloading an HD video
• ‘Always on’ technology, constantly taking in and sharing information from what we’re seeing and doing, can be supported
• Files so large that they previously required a fibre connection can be uploaded and shared, or stored in the cloud – all on the move from a mobile device, revolutionising working practices for content-heavy businesses
• A truly mobile office can be a reality, with smartphones, tablets and laptops connected by a 4G Mobile Wi-Fi device, serviced by average speeds around 20Mbps
• Streaming an HD video while uploading a presentation and speaking on a video conference call over IP, all in real time on mobile
EE is the only operator in the UK with the necessary combination of spectrum bands and mobile sites to undertake a rapid, widespread deployment of double-speed, double capacity 4G mobile services.
Roll out plans
The turbocharged 4G capability will roll out to ten existing 4G cities by summer – Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Leeds, Liverpool, London, Manchester and Sheffield. Trials of the new technology in Cardiff are have already seen headline speeds reach 80Mbps plus. Once switched on, the improvements will be automatically available in those cities within existing plans to new and current 4GEE customers on all 4G smartphones, tablets and dongles.